What is an 80% plant based diet?

I attended a Nutrition and Cancer course in February 2017,  at Maggie’s Oxford with Jennifer from Pillar of Health, who follows the principles of the Bristol Diet. I eat organic as much as possible (if they aren’t organic I wash vegetables in water with 1tbsp of apple cider vinegar added)  and follow an 80% plant based diet (the remaining 20% covering the animal protein and the cake content to my diet!.).  I take inspiration from a guy I met  who went from ‘Terminal’ to ‘All Clear’ ……..

 

The 80%:

Breakfasts:

  • All Bran/Shredded Wheat/porridge with almond milk   and blueberries/grapes/raspberries topped with 2 tbsp. milled flaxseed/linseed/hempseed

Mid Meal Snack options:

  • One handful of walnuts/brazil nuts/almonds
  • Apple
  • Trail mix
  • Home made veg smoothies

Lite Bites

  • Home made veg smoothie/soup with slice of wholemeal bread
  • Hummus/Falafel with wholemeal pitta
  • Shitake mushrooms/sardines on wholemeal toast
  • Salads: quinoa; tuna; bean, etc
  • Jacket potato
  • Nut loaf

Dessert options:

  • Bio yoghurt with fruit and 2tbsp milled flaxseed/linseed/hemp seed
  • Whole fruit

Drinks

  • Water
  • Black coffee
  • Green or Graviola tea
  • Vegetable juice

 

The remaining 20%:

Main Meals

Plenty of steamed vegetables/salads with animal protein consisting of ideally:

  • Chicken
  • Fish
  • Eggs

Dairy

  • Cows milk in hot drinks
  • Yoghurt
  • Cheese
  • Butter

Cake

Say no more……